Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Tuesday 23 June 2015

Spanish Colounella

Well I'm about two thirds through my first Spanish Colounella, and they're a bugger to complete. I forgot just how big the Spanish units could be, bearing in mind these were the forerunners to the later Tercios, which totaled about 4000ish men in a unit. I have to add a sword a nd buckler sub unit, and some skirmishers, which I have actually painted, but not completed basing yet.
 This regiment is made up of in the main TAG figures, definitely not the cheapest, but probably the best researched. I know that the Spanish infantry tended to deck themselves out in as much armour as they could grab, and TAG have tried to detail this.I have thrown in a couple of Foundry figures and a Perry commander for good measure. The flags a mixture of Adolfo Ramos and Pete's flags. Both very good, and great value.
 I have started building my next Colunella, which is made up of the old Connoisseur range. Peter Gilder wrongly decked them out in morions, but whose to say any different, and they are still very good figures although a little samey. So I have to admit I am a little off course by painting some Spanish, but I'm certain if Cesare had survived the death of his father he would have ended up encountering them one way or another. Personally, and with hindsight if Id been Cesare I would have been emphasising my Spanish background and ratting on his French allies asap.


 Colin, one of our group, gave me a TAG Turkish commander, so I had to paint him up as a Janissary officer. I gave him a guard of two of the old Campaign Miniatures Janissary range painted by John back in the 1980's. Still great figures though.



7 comments:

  1. superb painting and basing - very impressive work!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, TAG figures are very good to paint.

      Delete
  2. Splendid minis, the Turkish commander is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening Phil,
      The TAG designer is a very talented chap, which makes painting them straight forward.Thanks for the comment by the way.

      Delete
  3. Looking really great Robbie- just how many Renaissance armies are you going to have at the end of the day ;>)

    Very impressed!!

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Darrell,
      The project seems to have evolved into a beast. Ideally I would like a large French army and a large Spanish/Imperialist army to basically go with my large Borgia army. In theory that would allow me to refight the Italian Wars, so really nothing too big.

      Delete
  4. Robbie, The Ottoman pasha from TAG is very nice. With your recent Ottoman defeat its appropriate you have a new commander, the last was probably garrotted by order of the Sultan. The Spanish figures in recent posts are also looking great. Michael

    ReplyDelete

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.