Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Thursday 4 January 2018

Gendarme Grand Review.

 After I had posted the images of my Steel Fist gendarmes I got thinking about the actual number of gendarmes I actually possess and as a result I decided to put on a gendarme grand review. Normally I wouldn't do this for several reasons. I dont want people to think I'm showing off by being able to field so many 28mm cavalry and more importantly when I put them on the table it makes me realise I really have overdone the gendarme thing. 
 The French who were famous for their gendarmes only fielded a couple of thousand or so and the Spanish considerably less. Perhaps my mate John is right I do have more than existed. Anyway these are what I have at the current time. I have figures from various manufacturers and I thought it might be of some use to some prospective renaissance wargamer to see comparisons of each make.




 These chaps are from Eureka Miniatures of Australia. Beautiful but expensive sculpts. Each figure has separate plumes and weapons. When I was gainfully employed I commissioned Dave Jarvis, painter extraordinaire to paint them up.I use them as Cesare Borgia's bodyguard, hence the specific banners.

 Below are three different manufacturers. The first are Hinchliffe gendarmes with Perry plastic heads. Next are some classic Vulcan Miniatures. These came is separate pieces of head, four pieces of bard, horses head, and lance. To younger wargamers they may look a little strange, but I have always loved them. The company was only around for about three years in the early 1980's. The final figures are Eureka Miniatures. They are compatable with Perry, but clearly look small next to my Vulcan figures.

 Another Vulcan gendarme. Now how good is the bard given it is early 40 years old. Yipes.
  More classic gendarmes. This time from the old Connoisseur range sculpted by the late great Peter Gilder. [see my other blog] They are still available from Bicorne miniatures. Brilliant.
 These chaps are from Old Glory. John painted them up for me. To be honest they look better when painted and are good value for money.
                              Perry plastics compared to Old Glory. They look okay together.
  The classic Foundry Gendarmes sculpted by the Perry's in the 1990's. Next to them are some newer Perry miniatures from their plastic range.
                          Steel fist next to Foundry Miniatures. Pretty and compatible.
                     All standards are from Pete Smith of Pete's Flags fame. Top quality flags.

  Here we have Hinchliffe gendarmes with Perry plastic heads and Pro Gloria metal horses. I managed to buy a few horses from the company before they were bought out by Warlord Miniatures. The horses were for their plastic gendarme range which is yet to be released.
 They are very nice sculpts although I understand the actual plastic horses will be slightly bigger.


 I never use these chaps. I managed to buy them from Tony Runkee who painted them for the Peter Gilder collection. Classic figures and the pride of my collection.
 Peter Gilder was a master of using bits of other figures. This one uses a Vulcan gendarme head and bard, on a Connoisseur horse.




 Classic Hinchliffe gendarmes still obtainable from Hinds Miniatures. With a bit of gentle bending they take on interesting poses.Cheap and still excellent to paint and collect

  Casting Room gendarmes next to classic Foundry gendarmes. Casting Room split from Foundry and are bigger and exaggerated but to be honest I like them a lot. They are easy to paint.

                                                  Classic Foundry Gendarmes.

 After I had put all my gendarmes back in their boxes. I realised that I had 'forgotten' my Spanish Gendarmes.These are mainly Perry figures to show that they are lighter armed than their enemies, the French.


24 comments:

  1. First, you do have a bunch of Gendarmes!
    Second, this exercise is not a self-indulgence at all but a marvelous display of the might of your cavalry arm. Gorgeous figures!
    Third, the number of Gendarmes in my Renaissance armies look quite reasonable in comparison!

    Thanks for the parade review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I was reading a couple of articles re some early battles of the Italian Wars. The french fielded an average of 2000 gendarmes at the battles, which doesnt really equate too well onto a wargames table.

      Delete
  2. Robbie, nothing wrong with having a muster, or field day. I do the same on my blogs. its nothing to do with showing off, the photograph helps me to judge the state of my collection, and hopefully encourage me to finish off other projects. I think your gendarmes look great, and so do the banners. The diversity of manufacturers also enhances your collection. I think its slightly boring if you tie yourself to one manufacturer.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael,
      I dont subscribe to uniformity very much. If I like a figure range I will use them. My SYW armies are a good example of that.

      Delete
  3. Ces't formidable! A stunning array, well done. Got to say those Vulcan fellows are great...I have 7 lurking in the lead mountain which may be dug out after seeing this display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need to paint them up. They are fairly rare now and were ahead of their time regarding the idea of interchangeable parts. I also located a pile of their pike men. Yes they have silly looking sallets, but they have a lovely charm of their own.

      Delete
    2. Hi Robbie, hope all is well. I have amazed myself and actually got a heap (some Venetians) of Italian Wars figures painted (something I have wanted to do since the 80's). Could you let me know how you did your older bases (such as the Vulcan gendarmes here) as they have a very Wargames Holiday Centre look about them which I want to duplicate.
      many thanks
      Mike

      Delete
    3. Mike,
      sorry for the delay,right..how I paint my gendarmes. Thats a good question. I have been painting figures for a very long time now so I suppose its inevitable that some of my stuff looks like old school. When the images of Peter Gilder's collection was first released to the wargaming public I must admit I studied the images religiously and attempted to copy his style. I never could. Anyway re painting them.
      I alwys fix the rider to the horse first, usually drilling him. I then use a black undercoat, any spare black or very dark grey I have around spare. I then apply the paint for the horse, invariably there isnt much flesh on show so I will use a Colour Party horse shade which when dry I will add a lighter version of the base colour to any highlighted muscle mass. It looks crude when finished but I then give it a Games Workshop wash of the old Devlan Mud or whatever its called now. When dry I apply lighter shades of the horse colour. It may look exaggerated but I like the effect. Gilder used to use oils and apply the pile on paint wipe off method. Onto the actual figure. The Vulcan ones are quite crude armour wise but I use metal paint from a company called Dark Star who make a wonderful range of metals. I invariably use either their Darkened Bronze or Steel. I then highlight with a mix of the metal with Mithril Silver from Games Workshop. Any clothing I use whatever I fancy with additional highlights. For my reds I use Vallejo Flat Red with mixes of either light oranges or yellows. Gilder would exaggerate the final shade. Close up it can look quite clumsy but on a table it looks great. The Vulcan Bard is the best bit, the sculpts were a work of art.The methods are the same, if metal I use Dark Star with a Devlan Mud wash followed by successive higlights. If cloth I will always wash the bae colour followed by strong highlights. When finished I use Games Workshop gloss varnish. It gives a very high gloss and lifts the colours. Im sorry its a brief description and probably little help. I think there are some images on my blog of some original WHC gendarmes. I was lucky enough to meet and talk to Gilders chief painter, Tony Runkee who sold me ten. Tony attempted to give me some paint tips which didnt help because he was some damned proficient and I couldnt grasp the techniques.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for your very full reply Robbie, most illuminating. I was particularly interested in the basing procedure you used, as it looks just like Peter Gilder's. Much appreciated.

      Delete
    5. Oh sorry about that. The basing is simple. I copied this from a very old GW article. I use cheap wood glue, slightly watered down which is spread generously over the based figure. I then place the glued base in a tray filled with silica sand. This is sand used by block paviors to fill in the gaps between blocks. It is a fine sand. Anyway after a few seconds I take the base out, gently knock off any excess sand and leave to dry. When dry [24 hrs] I will either undercoat in very dark brown paint [bought at Wilkos] or use Valejo dip. I use a watery basecoat as it soaks through the sand. When dry I drybrush with Colour Party HS22 which is a deep buff colour. I then drybrush again in lighter shades of the same colour. Finishing with nearly white. Then add either tufts or flock. I edge my bases in black. Its something I have done for many years.Hope this helps a little. Gilder used Tetrion and sisal grass twists. I couldnt master the technique so opted for an easier and quicker system.

      Delete
    6. Brill, many thanks for that. I'll crack on with my Venetians for a game after Christmas. Have a good time over the festive season.
      cheers
      Mike

      Delete
    7. Hi Robbie. I recently scored a big bag of Vulcan Landsknechts at a show and have a few left over. Would you like them for free? If so mail me bath garden advice (all one word) AT gmail DOT com .
      cheers
      Mike

      Delete
  4. Wow, I'm in awe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter You are very kind. I never plan an army and it shows. If a period captures my imagination I just paint till I stop. Crazy really.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Colin. I never think of them as a collection. More an obsession.

      Delete
  6. It's not bad to be a bit self-indulgent at times and I think you've earned the right to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. At our age I think we are allowed a bit of indulgence sometimes.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, you are very kind. Gendarmes are up there with Polish winged lancers. Both outrageous.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for that, awesome, you could probably do with a few more, I can't see any Essex gendarmes, seriously lovely, I thought I had too many!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a full unit of Essex Gendarmes in my last Borgia army. They were very fine sculpts if a little stiff. Maybe I should get a few for completeness sake.

      Delete

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.