Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Monday 14 December 2015

All because of a Bear!

 When the Perry twins brought out their new Swiss renaissance command, which included a large bear, I jumped at the chance of buying one,[well actually I bought two] It was such a dramatic thing that wargamers need overcame wargamers common sense. I must admit that I have a lot of Swiss pike, so I didnt really need another bloc. But hey ho.
 Anyway, I started painting up the group, then realised that I was short of Perry figures to make up a large pike bloc! Luckily Christmas is nearly upon us, and my daughter has kindly stepped in to buy her old dad some extra Swiss. The photographs show how far I have got with the bloc. I must admit I have enjoyed painting these figures, and look forward to completing them after Christmas.

  I was scratching through Dave Thomas's spares boxes a while back, and found a couple of  Hinchliffe figures that I thought would make an extra Turkish command group. This is the finished piece, not brilliant, but I like it.
 Additionally I picked up some painted Hinchliffe mounted crossbowmen, at a very reasonable price from E Bay, so having had to paint only two extra figures, and then re base them, the troops are now ready to take the field in the new campaign season.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Afternoon Phil,
      Perry figures are a joy to paint, although they do get a bit slap dash with the castings. Im now trying to decide whether to put a bear in a Saxon SYW unit?

      Delete
  2. Turkish command look good, I've got those hinchcliffe mounted crossbow to paint, Swiss look great looking forward to the rest of them, plastic or metal? Have you given up on big bases or is it just because you haven't got all the unit yet?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afternoon Iain,
      Im still playing about with base sizes, and because I didnt have enough for a full pike block, I used smaller bases. The remainder will be Perry figures from their metal ranges.
      Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. Bears with SYW Saxons? Why not? I have one with my SYW Russians.

    Anyway, excellent units and the creature looks "grrrrrrrrreater than the average bear".

    ReplyDelete

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.