Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Things go a bit Awry

When I set this sister blog away,my firm intention was to build the army of Cesare Borgia using only Perry figures.It seemed a good idea,and the range although not big,was still complete enough to get things done.
How wrong can one be.
 After Jim Sweeney descended at the beginning of the month,I was able to examine his army. Jim had gone for a more eclectic collection,buying odd figures from all the ranges.
Well I liked the look he went for,and started looking about.
I think Perry are still the most suitable,and the best figures,but I have decided to add to them by collecting figures from other ranges.
 Realizing that I will need an opponent,I have decided in the main to paint up a French Renaissance army to grow alongside the Borgia one.
 Cesare relied a great deal on his French ally,and it therefore made sense to look at that army as a second project.
Secondly Italian Gendarmes tended not to be as gaudy as their French counterparts, using more sleek armour mainly from Milan.
The French went for more show.
At least that's my excuse. I am determined to collect two units of Foundry Gendarmes,and one unit of Eureka Gendarmes,if I can raise the cash,or sell my soul.
However as a link to my Old School regression, I have returned to my roots and purchased from the Hinchliffe range of renaissance figures.
They are a good price, their Gendarmes are one of my original favourites and Peter Gilder designed them.
Historically there are some mistakes,but what the hell.
Saying that I have finished a second pike block for Cesare's army.These are part of the Swiss contingent lent to Cesare for his first and second campaigns to recover the Romagna,and are part of the army that behaved so badly against the Italian citizenry.

The block is made up of half Perry plastics a couple of old Citidal figures and some Old Glory Swiss pike.I know its an eclectic mix,but this is one of Old Glory's best ranges and I like the life in the figures.

As always I have a couple of command bases done.I always seem to gravitate towards these bases,I think its the chance to use the Mini flore grass range that does it.


 This general,is an old Citidal figure with a Foundry standard bearer.
 This base is the lovely Italian Cardinal range from the Perry twins. All the flags are from the excellent Pete Smith of Pete's Flags. Check out his blog and E Bay.Absolute top class flags.









    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.